Project

General

Profile

Feature #9904

Bug #9900: Improve Website search

Have an option to include mailing-lists to website search

Added by BitingBird about 4 years ago. Updated 5 months ago.

Status:
Resolved
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
Category:
Infrastructure
Target version:
Start date:
08/05/2015
Due date:
% Done:

100%

Feature Branch:
web/9904-add-mailing-list-search-forms
Type of work:
Website
Blueprint:
Starter:
Affected tool:

Associated revisions

Revision 7b0d0340 (diff)
Added by intrigeri 5 months ago

Add forms to search our public mailing lists on about/contact (refs: #9904).

Since more than 3 years, #9904 has been handled as part of #9900 ("Improve
Website search"). I don't believe this approach is going anywhere because under
the current assumption that our website must not use an external search engine,
this would require ikiwiki to index the archive of our mailing lists. I don't
think that's realistic (no progress on any of the ikiwiki-related subtasks
of #9900 for years) and even if it were, I don't think it's a good use of our
time.

In the specific case of our public mailing lists, I believe we can skip the
discussion about using an external search engine: our mailing lists are already
hosted by a third party (Autistici/Inventati) and we already provide forms to
subscribe to them, which POST to that third party. So adding another set of
forms that POST to A/I's mailing list archive search engine does not make any
difference in this respect.

To improve UX, I'm using a placeholder that should help visitors of these web
pages understand what the query string should look like (before they type
anything), and a tiny bit of JavaScript that initializes the value to the
required query prefix once the visitor has selected the search field.
This requires disabling the htmlscrubber ikiwiki plugin on the affected pages.

Finally, I'm wrapping these forms with <p>…</p>, otherwise the rendered layout
is much too packed.

Revision fce3ec8f
Added by intrigeri 5 months ago

Merge branch 'web/9904-add-mailing-list-search-forms' (Closes: #9904)

History

#1 Updated by BitingBird about 4 years ago

  • Parent task set to #9900

#2 Updated by intrigeri about 4 years ago

  • Category set to Infrastructure
  • Type of work changed from Website to Code

The work that needs to be done is Perl hacking on the ikiwiki codebase.

#3 Updated by mercedes508 about 4 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Confirmed

#4 Updated by u about 2 years ago

This would not be possible if we externalize the search engine to 3rd party.

#5 Updated by intrigeri about 2 years ago

This would not be possible if we externalize the search engine to 3rd party.

Just curious: why wouldn't it be possible? I think it would rather be easier.

#6 Updated by u about 2 years ago

I meant that we would not be able to say: search for $word on this website AND the mailinglists at once.
But maybe I'm mistaken. And maybe the integration should allow for searchin in either of those two places (checkboxes).

#7 Updated by intrigeri about 2 years ago

I meant that we would not be able to say: search for $word on this website AND the mailinglists at once.

This seems to work fine: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Tails+3.0+site%3Atails.boum.org+OR+site%3Ablog.torproject.org&t=h_&dbexp=a&ia=web :)

#8 Updated by intrigeri 5 months ago

FWIW, the new place where our public mailing lists are archived is indexed at least by DuckDuckGo. For example, https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tails+monthly+report+site%3Atails.boum.org+OR+site%3Alists.autistici.org&t=h_&ia=web returns https://lists.autistici.org/message/20190401.000001.0cceab68.en.html as the 4th result.

#9 Updated by intrigeri 5 months ago

  • Status changed from Confirmed to In Progress
  • Assignee set to sajolida
  • Target version set to Tails_3.14
  • QA Check set to Ready for QA
  • Feature Branch set to web/9904-add-mailing-list-search-forms
  • Type of work changed from Code to Website

#10 Updated by intrigeri 5 months ago

sajolida, if happy, please don't merge yourself but instead reassign to me, so I can coordinate the merge with adjusting ikiwiki.setup for our production website.

#11 Updated by sajolida 5 months ago

  • Assignee changed from sajolida to intrigeri

I'm happy. I think it's better to move the search on the mailing lists closer to the description of the mailing lists, like you did, instead of merging it with the search on the website somehow, like proposed initially.

I added 85e12f0cc4 on top of your branch to improve the layout.

#12 Updated by intrigeri 5 months ago

  • QA Check changed from Ready for QA to Dev Needed

#13 Updated by intrigeri 5 months ago

sajolida wrote:

I added 85e12f0cc4 on top of your branch to improve the layout.

I'll assume the diff matches your intent better than the commit message so I've fixed the commit message before merging: s/below/above/ and s/please/place/).

#14 Updated by intrigeri 5 months ago

  • Status changed from In Progress to Resolved
  • % Done changed from 0 to 100

#15 Updated by intrigeri 5 months ago

  • Assignee deleted (intrigeri)
  • QA Check changed from Dev Needed to Pass

Ah ah, I misread the diff actually, so one of my "fixes" was wrong. Anyway, https://tails.boum.org/about/contact/ has search forms now!

#16 Updated by intrigeri 5 months ago

  • Target version changed from Tails_3.14 to Tails_3.13.2

#17 Updated by anonym 5 months ago

  • Target version changed from Tails_3.13.2 to Tails_3.14

#18 Updated by intrigeri 5 months ago

  • Target version changed from Tails_3.14 to Tails_3.13.2

Also available in: Atom PDF