Migrate our blueprints out of tails.git and tails.boum.org
We want to migrate our blueprints out of our main website and in their own ikiwiki. This will allow us to:
- Be able to push more documents to our blueprints (images, office documents, etc.) without polluting our main repo.
- Lock down all web editing on our main website.
- Allow more people to push changes through Git.
- Host our website on servers that we don't trust to push to tails.git; ideally, N>1 servers to better resist DDoS (e.g. Tor's pool of static webservers)
Our main options are:
- Migrate blueprints to a dedicated ikiwiki instance (blueprints.tails.boum.org)
- Use GitLab's wiki (#15878, https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/user/project/wiki/)
Benefits of using the GitLab wiki:
- We can link to issues, MRs, commits, etc. using the GitLab link syntax
- Links to issues and MRs are automatically annotated by GitLab with "(closed)"
- We can manage access control with the same tools/workflow/policy as our other GitLab stuff
- Arguably nicer user interface for editing pages
- More powerful flavor of Markdown
- Probably closer to what new contributors would expect / are used to
Benefits of using ikiwiki:
- Historical contributors are used to it (whether they like it or not, is another matter, but at least they don't have to learn anything new)
- Content drafted on a blueprint can be seamlessly moved to our design doc (it does not rely on GitLab-specific syntax or features)
#3 Updated by sajolida over 4 years ago
- Assignee deleted (
This project hasn't moved in the last 3 months and is currently blocked by tais-sysadmins following up on "staging and blueprint". I want to clear it from my view, so I'll design this from me though I'd be happy to work on this again once the whole thing gets unblocked.
#4 Updated by intrigeri over 4 years ago
So apparently the current apparent blockers are:
- Tails sysadmins' availability to help design how the service could work;
- stuff not happening at boum.org.
I don't think it's realistic to make plans based on the assumption that this situation will change any time soon. Sorry if I've personally contributed to create false hopes. Anyway, here we are, and based on this I suggest that people who want to lead this to completion and have time to do it themselves could stop blocking on it, and instead look into other hosting options for this ikiwiki, see #9183#note-5.
Just my 2 cts :)
#8 Updated by sajolida about 2 years ago
- QA Check deleted (
- Type of work changed from Sysadmin to Wait
Let's say we're waiting for #14588, then :)
It would also allow us to completely lock our official website for edition and avoid having to deal with spam on it. We might still have to deal with spam on blueprints.tails.boum.org.
I already have proof-of-concept Git commands to rewrite the main Git repo to keep only blueprints (haven't played with it in ~3 years):
git remote | while read remote ; do git remote rm $remote ; done git branch | grep -v "\smaster" | while read branch ; do git branch -D $branch ; done git tag | while read tag ; do git tag -d $tag ; done git filter-branch --subdirectory-filter wiki/src/blueprint -- --all git update-ref -d refs/original/refs/heads/master git reflog expire --expire=now --all git gc --aggressive --prune=now