Use homogenous Debian mirrors at build time
We're currently hard-coding very little about the Debian mirrors we use at build time in our Git tree.
Historically, this was meant to allow people to choose their preferred mirror (e.g. local mirror) and to cope with squid-deb-proxy's lack of flexibility. Nowadays, most of us use
apt-cacher-ng, that can rewrite such URLs on the fly if needed (generally a bad idea, but oh well), so probably we don't need this flexibility anymore.
Besides, this level of flexibility has just hit us hard, by introducing a bug (#8715) that has taken many hours to 3 of us to debug. More generally, our stuff will be more consistent, easier to reproduce, and our QA process will be more reliable if we all use the same mirrors at build time as the one we configure in the ISO.
So, I plan to:
- hard-code in
auto/configall mirrors that shall be used at build time
vagrant/provision/setup-tails-builderso that it doesn't configure
LB_PARENT_MIRROR_BINARY, and deconfigures them if present
tails::builderso that it doesn't configure
LB*MIRROR*, and deconfigures them if present
wiki/src/contribute/build.mdwnso that it doesn't advise to set
- ask for comments about it to tails-dev@, before sending a pull request
#3 Updated by intrigeri about 5 years ago
- Status changed from Confirmed to In Progress
- % Done changed from 0 to 10
- Feature Branch set to feature/8726-use-homogenous-Debian-mirrors-at-build-time
- Tested with non-standard values in
/etc/live/build.conf=> they're overriden by the mirrors defined in
- Tested with no
/etc/live/build.confat all => builds fine.
#4 Updated by intrigeri about 5 years ago
- % Done changed from 10 to 20
Started the discussion on https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2015-January/007906.html
#6 Updated by intrigeri almost 5 years ago
- Assignee deleted (
- % Done changed from 20 to 50
- QA Check set to Ready for QA
Ready for QA, lives in:
- feature/8726-use-homogenous-Debian-mirrors-at-build-time in our main Git repo (anonym?)
- feature/8726-use-homogenous-Debian-mirrors-at-build-time in our "tails" Puppet module (bertagaz)
The later shall not be deployed before the former is merged into all branches we build automatically.