Feature #8660: Add an option to attach screenshots to WhisperBack reports
Explain how to take screenshots in Tails
- Applications → Accessories → Screenshot
I'm not sure whether this deserves a full page in "Sensitive documents" but at least it needs to appear or be linked from the bug reporting instructions.
#3 Updated by sajolida about 5 years ago
- Subject changed from Document how to take screenshots in Tails to Explain how to take screenshots in Tails
- Description updated (diff)
You're right, this is already documented there so we shouldn't duplicate that. But it mentions the Activity Overview that we don't have, so I would still add a note on the bug reporting instructions to explain to start it through Applications → Accessories → Screenshort.
#6 Updated by BitingBird almost 5 years ago
It's great that you're willing to ork on this!
You should make a dedicated page (we'll see later if we merge it with an existing one). Copy what exists on other documentation pges, put the links for upstream documentation, and read https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/documentation/ to know how we do that :)
Don't hesitate to ask for help or feedback!
#7 Updated by sajolida almost 5 years ago
I think this page should be super simple (a bit like https://tails.boum.org/doc/sensitive_documents/office_suite/ maybe). I don't think we need a how to (GNOME Screenshot is simple enough and it's out of the scope of our documentation). But you could:
- Mention the PrintScreen key and where the files are saved by default.
- Applications → Accessories → Screenshot.
- Point to Applications → Accessories → Screenshot → Help for more info (additional screen shots, etc.)
- Link your page from https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/bug_reporting/. Unfortunately, it is not possible to add attachments to WhisperBack. See #8660. Maybe that could be mentioned as a limitation.
#8 Updated by ArgySan almost 5 years ago
I'll get my dedicated page up as soon as I get time (figure out how) to do that :P For now, I have this for the language:
From the Tails UI, select Applications > Accessories > Screenshot
This will open up the Screenshot utility. Form here you can:
- Take a screenshot of the entire desktop.
- Take a screenshot of the current window only.
- Select a specific area to take a screenshot of.
You can also change settings, such as:
- Time-delay your screenshot.
- Include your pointer.
- Include the window border
- Apply effects.
Once you have taken a screenshot, you can name it and save it wherever you wish - including a USB if you wish to keep it off-system, perhaps with your USB Tails bootloader.
You can also use the Print Screen button on your keyboard to take a screenshot:
- PrtScr (Prt Sc on some devices) will take a screenshot of your entire UX screen.
- Alt + PrtScr will take a screenshot of your current active window.
- Your screenshot will be saved to Home by default.
...I also have some screenshots
#10 Updated by sajolida almost 5 years ago
- Assignee changed from ArgySan to sajolida
- QA Check set to Ready for QA
Cool, thanks a lot for the patch. I owe you two in depth reviews now (this one and #8416), sorry for the delay.
Regarding your setup, do you know Git? Because if you do and if you are working from Tails you should try the draft instructions on (#9018). If you don't maybe I should set up blueprints (under https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/) for you to work on your tickets.
#12 Updated by sajolida almost 5 years ago
I will most probably won't have time to review this in depth again this week. In the meantime, maybe you can rework the markdown on this blueprint: https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/blueprint/doc/screenshots and probably edit your text once or twice to the light of the comments I made on https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8416#note-6.
#13 Updated by sajolida almost 5 years ago
- Assignee changed from sajolida to ArgySan
- QA Check changed from Ready for QA to Dev Needed
- Feature Branch set to https://tails.boum.org/doc/screenshots
Thanks for working on this and sorry for the late reply.
I think that most of the information is there on your draft but you'll find below some comments on improving it further. Please correct it directly on the blueprint I created for you on https://tails.boum.org/doc/screenshots.
- It's both good and useful to refer to the GNOME Documentation Style Guide and other parts of our documentation to know how we build common structures. For example to open an application we say "Choose Applications > Accessories > Screenshot". Using the same style and terminology makes it easier for people to understand that we are talking about similar actions as they've already performed.
- I think your page would be good enough without listing the different features and options of GNOME Screenshot. People willing to take a screenshot can figure this out by themselves from the interface. We should focus on what is relevant and specific in the context of Tails and refrain ourselves from rewriting what belongs to upstream documentation. The shorter, the better, always. The same goes for the saving of screenshots when using the interface, people are taken through this so there's no need to explain it.
- I like the idea of mentioning the Print Screen key after the main interface because it is somehow harder to manipulate (you don't see all the options, you don't choose the saving path, etc.). Still, what about mentioning the Print Screen only and refer to the GNOME help (Help button in the main interface) to learn about other shortcuts and tips. Also refer to the GNOME Style Guide to see how they refer to keyboard keys.
- You should also find a title for your page. Refer to our other pages to see how we do that usually.
- Also think about where to integrate this in the bug reporting instructions because actually this is where this is most relevant in the context of Tails. There we should also mention the limitation of WhisperBack which doesn't allow to attach screenshots. Maybe link to #8660. Also think about what to propose as an alternative until WhisperBack allows attaching screenshots.
Good luck with all that!
#19 Updated by spriver almost 4 years ago
I'll take it over as I'm not sure now that this deserves a dedicated page...
I'm in favor of not having a seperate page for an explanation on how to take a screenshot.Maybe an own section in doc/first_steps/introduction_to_gnome_and_the_tails_desktop would be sufficient?
#20 Updated by sajolida over 3 years ago
- Status changed from In Progress to Confirmed
- Assignee deleted (
- QA Check deleted (
Ready for QA)
- Feature Branch deleted (
- Affected tool set to WhisperBack
Actually, I'm sorry if I'm changing my mind here but I don't think that this deserves either a dedicate page or a section in introduction_to_gnome_and_the_tails_desktop, for the reasons already mentioned here: the Print Screen key works as expected, there's an entry in the Utilities submenu for Screenshot, I know people who are more used to take screenhots in GIMP, etc.
I think this should rather be integrated in the WhisperBack documentation once WB allows attaching screenshots (#8660) which is the part that is still relevant from the ticket description.
So I'm moving this as a subtask of #8660 and deassigning it to me.