Feature #6064: Handheld Tails
Monitor development of screen keyboard in GNOME
Good screen keyboard support is required for Tails on handheld devices and touchscreen.
GNOME is working on an integrate screen keyboard:
- About GNOME for touchscreen devices: https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/Touchscreen
- About GNOME screen keyboard: https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/ScreenKeyboard
We should monitor their progress and help them focus on what matters, especially about:
- The on-screen keyboard layout does not reflect the physical keyboard layout except for very few languages (but accented and other special chars can be input). See #8281#note-28 for the current state of things, and #8281#note-41 for WIP in this area. Actually there are two cases:
- using the on-screen keyboard as a counter-measure against hardware keyloggers: then this is a serious problem as one has to context-switch between the layout of the physical keyboard and the layout of the on-screen keyboard;
- using the on-screen keyboard for universal access reasons: in this case, one will "simply" get used to the QWERTY layout, and no context switch is involved, so it's OK-ish (except for people who switch between and other operating systems).