Tails Greeter is not accessible
The greeter is inaccessible, it's impossible to launch the accessibility tools. Tested on Tails 1.0.1 and 1.1 RC1.
- Subject changed from Greeter just innaccessible to Greeter just inaccessible
- Status changed from New to Confirmed
- Target version deleted (
- Tracker changed from Bug to Feature
- Subject changed from Greeter just inaccessible to Accessibility tools in Tails Greeter
- Priority changed from High to Normal
- Tracker changed from Feature to Bug
- Subject changed from Accessibility tools in Tails Greeter to Tails Greeter is not accessible
- Type of work changed from Code to Research
Research how it would be possible to add accessibility tools to the Greeter.
- Related to Bug #7510: Add a syslinux option to start accessibility added
- Priority changed from Normal to High
Raising severity: if the Greeter was accessible, then one could at least set a root password, log in, and then work on other accessibility problems. This is currently impossible, so that's a blocker for many potential accessibility improvements.
Easy solution: Add gnome-standard hotkeys to launch accessibility tools.
Example: Orca, the screen-reader for blind users.
Simply add a hotkey, (alt+super+S) to launch it. in the greeter.
- Related to Feature #5563: Add virtual keyboard to Tails Greeter added
- Affected tool set to Greeter
The hotkey solution surely can work for Orca, which would be a pretty good start. It cannot work for all accessibility tools, though: some of them are precisely meant to enable anyone to use the system, regardless of their ability to type keyboard shortcuts => we'll probably need some way to start such tools without using the keyboard, which likely requires integrating some widget one can use with a pointing device only in the Greeter's UI, somehow.
- Related to Bug #7260: Persistence feature for Universal access added
- Target version set to 2017
- Related to Feature #11664: Improve usability of the Greeter with a screenreader added
- Target version deleted (
- Description updated (diff)
This gets better in the new Greeter (currently alpha), but the settings chosen in the Greeter are not automatically forwarded to the GNOME session, so if one needs some accessibility tool, then they'll need to enable it twice.
- Related to Bug #12384: Forward Greeter accessibility settings to the GNOME session added
- Status changed from Confirmed to Duplicate
I'm closing this bug, that is too wide now that some accessibility works in tails' 3.0~beta2 greeter. Work left to do is tracked by #12384 and #11664. Don't hesitate to file new issues while testing 3.0~beta2.
Also available in: Atom