Update the ISO verification instructions using GNOME
In our ISO verification instructions for GNOME we advertise the use of
OpenPGP through seahorse-plugins, but that used to be broken on recent
Debian and Ubuntu.
intrigeri reported that:
- It works fine in testing/sid.
- For Wheezy, one needs to install seahorse-nautilus + shared-mime-info
from the backports, then it works just fine.
Status for Ubuntu should be investigated and updated.
Make it clear that having seahorse-nautilus is not enough in itself.
E.g. in Ubuntu Trusty and Utopic, the version of seahorse-nautilus won't
work because a recent enough shared-mime-info isn't available.
#9 Updated by sajolida about 4 years ago
- Assignee changed from sajolida to BitingBird
- QA Check changed from Ready for QA to Dev Needed
- People in Wheezy should install
shared-mime-infofrom backports, so if you do a special section for Wheezy, there's no point in mentioning backports in a note after the apt-get command.
- To which versions of Ubuntu does the backport thingie applies? Does Ubuntu even have that notion of backports? Because that's what you first section seems to pretend.
- Could you be more precise than "recent Ubuntu"? Which version of Ubuntu has the right package? What do you need to do if you have an older Ubuntu version than that (if relevant)?
- With the new structure of your page the content of the second note seems redundant with your new first section.
In the end, I'm not sure it's a good idea to do two sections. The only thing that's specific about Wheezy is that you need to install those packages from backports. Do you think we should go into the details of explaining how to use backports? And regarding Ubuntu what needs to be clarified is starting from which version do we have the good package.
#10 Updated by BitingBird about 4 years ago
- Assignee changed from BitingBird to sajolida
- QA Check changed from Dev Needed to Ready for QA
Reworked it all. Added specific Ubuntu versions, removed older Ubuntu (doesn't work -> command-line), and reorganized in a more logical way. Also removed the strange list that didn't look good (the page is too long for a list to make sense).
Built 10 times, the last version looks good :) Please review!
#13 Updated by intrigeri about 4 years ago
- % Done changed from 0 to 60
- Feature Branch changed from bitingbird:doc/7162-gnome_verif to doc/7162-gnome_verif
I've pushed a few important fixes, and a lot of minor changes, to
doc/7162-gnome_verif. It now looks good enough to me, but still I'd like sajolida to give it a last glance before it's merged.