Select a logo for Tails
We need a logo for Tails.
- Free licence, compatible with GPL3+.
- An image with an approximate 1:1 ratio, like the onion logo.
- Plus the same image along with the "Tails" word either: * merged with the image as in the Tor logo; * on the side of the image.
- The "Tails" name must be spelled with an uppercase "T" only, and lowercase "ails".
- The image should convey the ideas behind Tails: secrecy, privacy, anonymity, mystery, simplicity (Tails is ready-to-use).
- The logo has to be a bit serious, but not sad.
- Until now we reuse the colors from Tor (green and purple), but this can be changed.
- We cannot reuse directly the Tor or Debian logo, but evoking it is ok (use Tor colors, or evoking the Debian swirl).
- The image should be suited to print on nice stickers that people want to have on their computers, and on t-shirts that people are happy to wear.
- Make sure that the fonts that you use are compatible with GPL3+. To be on the safe side, use fonts available in Debian main, otherwise prove their compatibility with GPL3+.
We like the idea of the tail, the cat or the mask that was used by Incognito in the past. Other ideas that meet the requirements are welcome too.
#2 Updated by OneST8 almost 6 years ago
- File tails-r2.png added
It's hard to get a proper "tail" image that doesn't look confusing when really small vs it's really big version.
Part of the issue is for things like a favion.ico which is 16x16, boot splash much larger and wallpapers which are huge.
While I'm no artist per-se, I do deal with design on a daily basis and so my suggestion is to make a play on the different technologies employed by tails. As a horrible example is attached an image which has the Tor onion (reduced to grayscale shading/lines of definition) with the Debian swirl situated on top as if the onion is a bottle with the swirl escaping.
Please do not use the attached for anything other that a frame of reference.
The mask image came from this really awesome art (that looks way better large but still gets the message across in smaller sizes): http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/287/b/9/incognito_typograpy_by_frostykilla89-d30rizy.png
Again, just trying throw my $0.02 into the mix as I'm looking for some catchy eye-candy that'll look good in print, on threads and on the web.
#4 Updated by OneST8 almost 6 years ago
- File TAiLS-Idea.png added
Attached is another idea I had on the way to work this morning. Completely different and while the attached is just a quick hack, the concept could be refined in a great number of ways...
- Re-write the text (I just rambled it all out)
- Define the coloured text better
- Choose different colours
- Incorporate cryptography in the text
- Instead of the text itself being actual human readable text, make it like lines of internet communications; some streams of 1s and 0s, SHA1 hashes of words, some readable words.
When squished to smaller scales, the bold/colours would be made more defined and the logo would manifest itself in an abstract way but clearly visible. On the larger scales; there can be a lot of fun in playing with the typsestting, hidden crypto puzzles and so on.
(Note: Copy/pasting this comment to the mailing list.)
#7 Updated by Gentleman almost 6 years ago
- File tails-logo-redacted.png added
Logos are by definition 'improper', minimalistic, and simple right? The DISK IMAGE on its own is an epitiomy of just that, and I strongly feel that it should remain as logo. It does scale well; however, there is nothing wrong with using an alias (like tails.boum.org/favicon.ico <a target="_blank" href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wordmark">wordmark</a>) when a smaller image is indicated.
By now, the DISK IMAGE has been well associated with Tails due to its prominence in the topleft corner on tails.boum.org . I have asked around - no one notices the cat in the topright corner.
en.wikipedia.org/logo : "Because logos are meant to represent companies' brands or corporate identities and foster their immediate customer recognition, it is counterproductive to .. redesign logos."
#12 Updated by sajolida almost 6 years ago
Thread on Carmie's proposal:
#15 Updated by sajolida over 5 years ago
Added some more ideas by Andrew Pilkington from Picasso Fish.
#27 Updated by sajolida over 5 years ago
New proposal of cartoon cats on <https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2014-January/004740.html>.
#30 Updated by sajolida over 5 years ago
Font proposals from <https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2014-January/004778.html>
#38 Updated by BitingBird over 5 years ago
#54 Updated by Ermack about 5 years ago
I have 80 Images to submit. 40 png's and 40 of the same images in svg format. Most are variations of 3 core images. The banner and splash compositions are also included with several variations of each. The deadline is nearing. Please allow me to email them to you or I'll have to flood this page with the links which would be tedious and suck. The deadline I hope is by end of day. Otherwise it would be the end for me and my work for naught. Please Inrigeri I need to know about the GPLv3 thing we spoke about. Forgive my impatience.
#60 Updated by t3x about 5 years ago
The logo selected is nice however it doesn't scale well when it's a smaller size.
A simple logo such as the one by Gareth ( https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/logo/gareth-red.png ) would be a nice choice since it's easily identifiable whether it's large or small.
Please re-consider and select a logo that can scale well and is easily identifiable at any size.