support various input methods
When choosing an input method in "System" --> "Preferences" --> "Input Method Switcher", one is asked to restart the X session to apply the chosen settings. This is clearly unusable for most users.
- research the questions below in a Wheezy context.
/usr/share/doc/im-switch/readme.debian.gz explains in great details how the input method configuration works.
- What input method do we need to support? SCIM and/or uim and/or IBus?
- Do we have to choose between e.g. uim and IBus?
- How to have
im-switchdo the right thing in function of the chosen locale?
- How hard is it to support starting the system in any given locale (such as US English), while keeping the possibility of using a specific input method (such as SCIM) on demand? (This usecase was reported by an actual user.)
- Fedora 19 release notes say they now ship ibus, ibus-kkc, ibus-libpinyin and ibus-bogo
- One user reports that setting up SCIM for Japanese input requires to restart X, and is thus hard to do for Tails users.
#1 Updated by winterfairy about 6 years ago
- Starter set to No
When choosing an input method in "System" --> "Preferences"
--> "Input Method Switcher", one is asked to restart the X session
to apply the chosen settings. This is clearly unusable for most users.
Try repointing "/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL" to "/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim-immodule" when building Tails.
#2 Updated by winterfairy about 6 years ago
Answers to question under Reseach:
IBus will be used, and only IBus.
im-switch appears to not configure IBus, just start it. Therefore in my branch "bugfix/ibus-wheezy" in my "winterfairy/tails" repo, I have replaced im-switch with a simple script that does both.
This script also starts IBus configured when choosing any other locale that does not really need it. This way there is an applet in the panel there the user can enable the input method and start typing no matter selected locale. I default to Chinese input method in this case, but any other can be selected.
#6 Updated by winterfairy about 6 years ago
I have searched the web, and have seen both people complaining ibus in unstable in squeeze, and other saying that ibus works good in contrary to scim in squeeze. My own testings didn't reveil any crashes or unexpected behaviour with ibus. But ibus does not hit bug #6206, which scim does.
Therefore, switched in "bugfix/ibus" for squeeze in my repo.