Add virtual keyboard to Tails Greeter
In order to protect users against encryption passphrase and sudo password compromise in the presence of a hardware keyboard logger, the Florence Virtual Keyboard should be available in Tails Greeter.
A proof of concept has been implemented :
- add florence.desktop to gdm greeter session
- florence needs a system tray to enable user to access its icon, so, install trayer and add a corresponding
.desktop to gdm greeter session.
This works, but a solution which does not require to display another panel has to be found.
Why do we "have" to find another solution? If we really have, how hard would it be to have the existing tails-greeter panel act as a system tray?
Potentially interesting links¶
It is not only important for security. I am running Tails on a Slate and when I'm on the road I usually have no physical (non-bluetooth) keyboard available to activate my persistence partition which is kind of annoying. Would love to be able to use that feature on this device always as well.
Thanks for your great work!
- Category set to 165
- Starter set to No
- Subject changed from tails-greeter: add florence to Add the Florence virtual keyboard to the Greeter
- Related to Feature #5587: Add a virtual keyboard in Tails Greeter added
- Duplicated by Feature #5783: Florence Virtual Keyboard to be available at first prompt added
- Related to deleted (Feature #5587: Add a virtual keyboard in Tails Greeter)
- Duplicated by Feature #5587: Add a virtual keyboard in Tails Greeter added
- Subject changed from Add the Florence virtual keyboard to the Greeter to Add Florence virtual keyboard to Tails Greeter
- Related to Bug #7500: Tails Greeter is not accessible added
- Target version set to 2017
- Related to Feature #10041: Requesting feature: Virtual keyboard at initial bootup of welcome screen added
The xkbd are more captable to implement at the gdm, inclusivelly comes with some notes,
florence does not perform well on display greeters.. only has a "eye candy" asct,
xkbd has more usefully behabior
- Target version deleted (
- Related to Feature #10814: Add icon to easily launch virtual keyboard added
- Subject changed from Add Florence virtual keyboard to Tails Greeter to Add virtual keyboard to Tails Greeter
- Status changed from Confirmed to Resolved
Caribou is working in the greeter in 3.0~beta2
- Category set to Accessibility
- Target version set to Tails_3.0
- Related to Bug #12385: The virtual keyboard in the Greeter allows to type only a limited set of keys added
Also available in: Atom