Streamline our release process
It's not clear yet how we'll approach this streamlining thing, but in the meantime, I feel the need to have a place to collect a list of specific issues we're facing as part of doing releases. This should help us get a better understanding of the big picture, prioritize issues relatively to each other, and get a better idea of what kind of efforts would yield what kind of benefits.
I propose we simply mark candidate issues as Related to this one for now. The ones we pick as higher priority could become subtasks later.
- Related to Bug #17353: .build-manifest discrepancies added
- Related to Bug #17307: nginx "504 Gateway Time-out" while refreshing the website at Tails release time added
- Related to Feature #15287: Make it possible to reproducibly generate IUKs in CI added
For now I'm not linking issues that affect RMs just like they affect developers, such as those pertaining to fragility of our build system, or of our test suite, or of our test suite specifically on lizard.
Some recent discussions with segfault make me wish we went through a similar process from the perspective of a Tails developer. For now I'd rather not conflate these 2 processes, but it would be good to keep in mind that fixing such issues would not only make life better for RMs, but also for all other developers, which can give them a strong advantage, compared to release process -only improvements, in terms of cost/benefit.
Anyway, we have a meeting about this in 10 days so I won't think about it further now.
- Related to Bug #17363: Ensure only pushes to the master branch trigger a website refresh added
- Related to Bug #17364: The build of our production website should be self-healing added
- Related to Bug #17376: Complete our release process doc wrt. non-final releases added
- Related to Bug #16960: Make our CI feedback loop shorter added
- Related to Feature #17400: Use the tarball with all Tor Browser langpacks added
- Related to Bug #17413: Document process for emergency releases added
- Related to Bug #17420: test channel: consider copying UDF for $VERSION as well added
- Related to Bug #17414: Slow networking for release management added
- Related to Bug #17417: Please adjust ISO history handling (git hook?) added
- Related to Bug #17431: Consider dropping the latest release version and date from the website sidebar added
- Related to Bug #17416: Create a Schleuder mailing list for manual testers added
- Related to Bug #17434: Building many IUKs (v2) takes a while on Jenkins added
- Related to Bug #17435: Building many IUKs (v2) takes a while on the RM's system added
- Related to Bug #17437: Check which 4.x base versions we need to support upgrades for added
Also available in: Atom