Make the test suite clean up after itself even in most failure modes
Type of work:
- avoid leaving zombie processes behind (e.g. Xvfb, unclutter, tor processes started by Chutney, avconv, local services run by cucumber, etc.)
- drop the whole "reboot before running the test suite" dance in our CI (#10601, #11295)
- have CI nodes that can run both builds & tests, which would provide great performance improvements to our feedback loop: we often have build jobs in the queue while isotesters are idling, or test jobs in the queue while builders are idling
How to do so?
- wrap the test suite with
- Initially: our CI.
- Ideally, the solution would also work for developers who run the test suite locally.
- Ideally, the solution would not depend on Jenkins much, if at all, so we benefit from it even if we migrate to another kind of CI some day.