Etcher fails to install Tails 4 IMG file (corrupted image?)
multiple users (at least two are using macOS) reported that after downloading the IMG file without errors, Etcher failed to install it on the USB stick with this error message :
Something went wrong. If it is a compressed image, please check that the archive is not corrupted.
the first reports were received 10/2/19 around 4 AM
- Status changed from Confirmed to In Progress
- Assignee changed from intrigeri to goupille
I tried to burn Tails 4.0 using Etcher 1.5.51 (the version linked from our website) on macOS High Sierra and it worked fine 2 times in a row.
Maybe it's this error in Etcher: https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/issues/2833.
To confirm this, I need to know from people experiencing this issue:
- What is their version of macOS.
- Whether it works to run Etcher from a Terminal with sudo:
Once it's confirmed that we are facing Etcher#2833, we could document the workaround.
I'll also track Etcher#2833 and update the version that we distribute as soon as it's fixed upstream.
- Status changed from In Progress to Confirmed
- Target version set to Tails_4.1
- Type of work changed from Research to End-user documentation
Ok, then let's assume that we're facing only https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/issues/2833 and document the workaround on our installation pages.
Actually, Etcher says they fixed it now: https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/issues/2833#event-2773685638. So instead I should update to Etcher 1.5.61 on our website. That's UX work.