Hide Tor settings in OnionShare
In 4.0, OnionShare has a settings dialog. It features a bunch of Tor connectivity options, see attachment.
In the context of Tails, these options are, at best, not useful, probably confusing, and possibly harmful if changing them can lead to a broken OnionShare.
#1 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago
To get things started:
- I have verified that these settings are not dangerous: our Onion Grater config would forbid OnionShare from reconfiguring Tor; so worst case, fiddling with these prefs would lead do a non-functional OnionShare.
- I have filed a feature request upstream so they provide a way for us to hide these prefs: https://github.com/micahflee/onionshare/issues/1014
For the time being, our options seem to be:
- Implement ourselves the feature requested upstream. I don't know how much work that would require. Once it's done and in Debian, there should be zero maintenance cost for us (until upstream breaks it, which might happen if they don't test it regularly). But I doubt we can get this done, merged upstream, released upstream, and uploaded Debian, in time for 4.0.
- Crudely patch the code to hide these settings. At first glance, this should be quite easy. Maintenance cost should be very low as long as we ship OnionShare from Buster, but I know that u would like us to upgrade to something newer (#14649) soon, which implies we'll track buster-backports and have to deal with version churn, and then we'll have to refresh the patch for every new upstream release.
- Accept this for now, as yet another smallish bug, not particularly more urgent/important than dozens of other bugs we've been living with for years. Wait and hope for upstream to implement our feature request. Come back to it in a few months and prioritize this problem with the big picture in mind.
I propose we go with the 3rd option for now, drop the 4.0 milestone, add it to the Foundations Team's plate, and come back to it in a few months. @sajolida, what do you think?