Project

General

Profile

Bug #16822

Release 4.0~beta1

Added by intrigeri 3 months ago. Updated about 1 month ago.

Status:
Resolved
Priority:
High
Assignee:
-
Category:
-
Target version:
Start date:
Due date:
% Done:

100%

Feature Branch:
Type of work:
Code
Blueprint:
Starter:
Affected tool:

Description

This will be the first 4.x version that's officially supported, as in:

  • Once it's out, it'll get security support just like 3.x.
  • Every automated test suite scenario will have passed at least once (worst case, manually).
  • It must pass the subset of our manual test suite that's about safety guarantees Tails claims to make.

Tails contributors and enthusiasts will be encouraged to use it in production.


Subtasks

Bug #16947: Investigate build-manifest discrepancy for Tails 4.0~beta1Resolved


Related issues

Related to Tails - Feature #15944: Port Tails to Buster Resolved 09/12/2018
Related to Tails - Feature #14991: Remove /usr/share/live/config/xserver-xorg/intel.ids Resolved 11/18/2017
Blocks Tails - Bug #16949: Ensure we don't install unwanted packages even if they become "Priority: standard" again Resolved
Blocks Tails - Bug #16950: Clean up 98-remove_unwanted_packages vs Buster Resolved
Blocks Tails - Bug #16281: Update the test suite for Buster Resolved 01/05/2019

History

#1 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

Current plan: release this at the same time as 3.15, on 2019-07-09. I've assigned myself as a fallback for the RM'ing work, but I certainly would not mind if anonym took this over, especially since it's not 100% clear yet whether kibi will be in a position to RM 3.15 in the end.

For now, we're tracking the blockers as 4.0 tickets with priority >> normal. We'll see how it works.

sajolida, I think we'll need a dedicated blog post + tweet, to give this more exposure than a mere call for testing on -testers@.

#2 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

#3 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

intrigeri wrote:

Current plan: release this at the same time as 3.15, on 2019-07-09. I've assigned myself as a fallback for the RM'ing work, but I certainly would not mind if anonym took this over, especially since it's not 100% clear yet whether kibi will be in a position to RM 3.15 in the end.

Actually, we don't have to release this at the same time as 3.15: any time in the following week or so would work. But if I need to be involved, 2019-07-09 works best: I'll be mostly unavailable after that.

#4 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

Emailed the RMs list, trying to figure out who can do that and when.

#5 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

  • Priority changed from Elevated to High
  • Target version changed from Tails_3.15 to Tails_3.16

#6 Updated by sajolida about 2 months ago

I'm fine helping with the announcement but I think it'll be better if you help me draft what I should mention:

  • How to test: anything special?
  • What's new: will I have all the info in the Changelog already?
  • Known issues

You can have a look at the announcement of 3.0-beta4 to have a point of comparison.

#7 Updated by intrigeri about 2 months ago

  • Assignee changed from intrigeri to anonym

#8 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

  • Related to Feature #14991: Remove /usr/share/live/config/xserver-xorg/intel.ids added

#9 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

sajolida wrote:

  • How to test: anything special?

One thing: we stopped forcing the "intel" X.Org driver for a bunch of graphic cards (#14991). In the earlier calls for testing of feature/buster I've asked folks using such hardware to report success/failure. If they experience a regression they should retry with xorg-driver=intel. In any case, it's nice if they report the ID of the graphic card.

Also, again, same as earlier calls for testing: Thunderbold testing would be sweet. I provided more detailed instructions in those calls for testing.

#10 Updated by anonym about 1 month ago

sajolida wrote:

I'm fine helping with the announcement

I have taken this over and plan to start working on it ASAP. @sajolida, do you think you have time to write it by 16:00 CEST Aug 7? Or even earlier?

  • What's new: will I have all the info in the Changelog already?

I can reorder the release process a bit and just prepare the changelog first thing tomorrow morning.

#11 Updated by anonym about 1 month ago

sajolida, a WIP changelog has been pushed to feature/buster! It's huge, but not so crazy when looking at the sections relevant for you:

  • Major changes
  • Removed features
  • Bugfixes
  • Minor improvements and updates

Please ignore the other sections! (If you happen to find anything relevant in the "Adjustments for Debian 10" section, please let me know, cause then I should probably move it to "Minor improvements".)

#12 Updated by anonym about 1 month ago

@sajolida, my mention of you got broken in my previous post, so doing it in this post instead.

#13 Updated by sajolida about 1 month ago

The last proposed date was 2019-07-09 which was silently postponed until yesterday, so being given only a 48 hours notice is pretty rough.

Today I was not working on Tails until now and tomorrow I have 2 important fundraising meetings. I'll start working on the note right now but I can't promise you anything.

#14 Updated by sajolida about 1 month ago

I'll need URLs to the images and OpenPGP signatures.

#15 Updated by sajolida about 1 month ago

I pushed a draft to doc/16822-4.0-beta1.

I didn't mention anything related to Electrum on purpose because I understand that it's still unusable in the general case.

You can probably finish it yourself by linking to the image and OpenPGP signature whenever it's ready. I don't mind doing it myself but I cannot promise highly availability.

#16 Updated by anonym about 1 month ago

sajolida wrote:

The last proposed date was 2019-07-09 which was silently postponed until yesterday, so being given only a 48 hours notice is pretty rough.

Fully understood, but I couldn't have let you know any earlier. However, I should have made it clearer that the proposed deadline could be discussed in case you needed a day or two more. Sorry!

I pushed a draft to doc/16822-4.0-beta1.

Thanks a lot!

I didn't mention anything related to Electrum on purpose because I understand that it's still unusable in the general case.

Yes, it's still unusable.

You can probably finish it yourself by linking to the image and OpenPGP signature whenever it's ready. I don't mind doing it myself but I cannot promise highly availability.

I'll do it, np!

#17 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

  • Blocked by Bug #16941: devel branch FTBFS since torbrowser-launcher 0.3.2-1 was uploaded to sid added

#18 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

  • Blocked by deleted (Bug #16941: devel branch FTBFS since torbrowser-launcher 0.3.2-1 was uploaded to sid)

#19 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

  • Blocks Bug #16949: Ensure we don't install unwanted packages even if they become "Priority: standard" again added

#20 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

  • Blocks Bug #16950: Clean up 98-remove_unwanted_packages vs Buster added

#21 Updated by intrigeri about 1 month ago

  • Blocks Bug #16281: Update the test suite for Buster added

#22 Updated by anonym about 1 month ago

  • Status changed from Confirmed to Resolved
  • Assignee deleted (anonym)

Also available in: Atom PDF