Bug #15957: Additional Software install step sometimes tries to download packages
Additional Software upgrade fails when APT lists are not uptodate at startup
case C: a new Tails release including new apt lists is installed. Then the right version of the packages are not in the cache. If user is not connected to the Internet/Tor is not ready when the Gnome session is ready, then tails-additional-software-install.service fails. As a consequence, tails-additional-software-update.path is never run and the problem is not solved until the user starts a session when already connected to Tor (= cable + fast connection).
Also I thought that with only this fix (and not the fix for cases A and B) there are more chances that errors will be fixed by the update/upgrade when going online. So I suggest we change the installation error notifications from:
The installation of your additional software failed
The installation of your additional software failed. This may be solved by connecting to Internet.
I can proposed a branch
bugfix/16566-asp-dl-failure-case-C-with-notification for that but I'm worried it breaks the test suite.
Also I thought that with only this fix (and not the fix for cases A and B) there are more chances that errors will be fixed by the update/upgrade when going online. So I suggest we change the installation error message from: […] to: […]
I think it's too late in this cycle to change strings and have them go through sajolida ⇒ please file a dedicated ticket about it if you think it's worth it (I did not think about it yet; if you want my opinion, I could do that :)
I can propose a branch for that but I'm worried it breaks the test suite.
No worries: if it does, it'll be easy to spot and to fix. I might be stating the obvious, but the test suite's job is to validate the implementation, not to force it to remain as-is.
- Status changed from 11 to Confirmed
- Target version changed from Tails_3.13 to Tails_3.14
- QA Check changed from Pass to Ready for QA
- Feature Branch changed from bugfix/16566-asp-dl-failure-case-C to bugfix/16566-asp-dl-failure-case-C-with-notification
I changed the branch for the one adding "This may be solved by connecting to Internet." on the install failure notification. This is ready for 3.14.
- Assignee set to alant
- QA Check changed from Ready for QA to Info Needed
- Sum up for sajolida in which situation the modified string will appear and what's the proposed string change (I know all this can be found by reading the full history of this ticket + some of its parent ticket + perhaps some of the blueprint but I'm pretty sure sajolida would rather answer a simple question spelled out in one single Redmine comment :)
- Reassign to sajolida as "Info Needed".
Thanks in advance!
- Assignee changed from alant to sajolida
- Sum up for sajolida in which situation the modified string will appear and what's the proposed string change
When ASP install at startup fails, the string was:
"The installation of your additional software failed"
Every new Tails release, the install fails and this is solved by connecting to Internet. The proposed string is:
"The installation of your additional software failed This may be solved by connecting to Internet."
- Assignee changed from sajolida to alant
- QA Check changed from Info Needed to Dev Needed
It's good! (except it's "*the Internet").
This one is a bit more polite and shorter:
"The installation of your additional software failed. Please try to connect to the Internet."
- Target version deleted (
We've set up an automated process to ask our fellow contributors to update some tickets of theirs, in order to:
- better reflect your plans;
- bring down your amount of work-in-progress to a sustainable level;
- encourage team work and increase the chances that someone finishes the work;
- avoid a human doing ticket triaging and asking you the same questions on each such ticket.
In particular, this process identifies:
- Stalled work-in-progress
- Reviews waiting for a long time
However, in the current state of things, this process is not able to notice those tickets when their Target version has been repeatedly postponed by our Release Managers. Therefore, the ticket triaging team decided on #16545 to remove the Target version whenever in such cases, when it does not feel realistic. This is what I'm doing on this ticket.
You now have a few options, such as:
- Deassign yourself. That's fine. If it really matters, someone else, possibly you, may pick it up later. Then, if this ticket is relevant for a Tails team, bring it to their attention; else, forget it and take care of yourself :)
- If you think you can realistically come back to it and finish the work in the next 6 months, say so on this ticket, for example by setting a suitable "Target version". This will communicate your plans to the rest of the project and ensure the task pops up on your radar at a suitable time. Of course, you can still realize later that it is not going to work as planned, and revisit today's choice.