Project

General

Profile

Bug #16371

Upgrade to Linux 4.19.16-1 in 3.13

Added by intrigeri 4 months ago. Updated 3 months ago.

Status:
Rejected
Priority:
Elevated
Assignee:
-
Category:
-
Target version:
Start date:
01/18/2019
Due date:
% Done:

100%

QA Check:
Feature Branch:
bugfix/16371-linux-4.19.0-2+force-all-tests
Type of work:
Code
Blueprint:
Starter:
Affected tool:

Description

It got uploaded yesterday. Depending on when exactly we freeze, we might get it or not in 3.12~rc1 and 3.12. Let's make a conscious decision about it.


Related issues

Related to Tails - Bug #16390: devel branch FTBFS since linux-image-4.19.0-1-amd64 was removed from sid Resolved 01/26/2019
Related to Tails - Bug #16458: Upgrade Linux to 4.19.20+ for Tails 3.13 Resolved 02/11/2019
Blocks Tails - Feature #15507: Core work 2019Q1: Foundations Team Resolved 04/08/2018

Associated revisions

Revision f4030361 (diff)
Added by intrigeri 3 months ago

Upgrade Linux to 4.19.0-2, i.e. currently 4.19.16-1 (refs: #16371)

Revision 007343b2 (diff)
Added by intrigeri 3 months ago

Revert "Pin the kernel version we want to install in Tails 3.12." (refs: #16371)

This reverts commit 404b474ee908a378b3bd3416700519292ebf9c98.

History

#1 Updated by intrigeri 4 months ago

#2 Updated by intrigeri 4 months ago

See https://tails.boum.org/contribute/Linux_kernel/ about the trade-offs involved.

#3 Updated by anonym 4 months ago

  • Assignee deleted (anonym)
  • Target version changed from Tails_3.12 to Tails_3.13

I think we should skip this kernel bump for 3.12; it's too little, too late. As for "too little", I compared buster (4.19.12 and Tails already uses 4.19.13) vs sid (4.19.16) and only two issues were listed as "vulnerable" for buster and "fixed" for sid, but they were actually fixed in 4.19.13 which we already install. And "too late" because I'm gonna prepare Tails 3.12~rc1 today, so being blocked on this ticket would probably delay the release another day.

#4 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

#5 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

#6 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

  • Subject changed from Consider Linux 4.19.16-1 for 3.12~rc1 to Consider Linux 4.19.16-1 for 3.13

#7 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

  • Priority changed from High to Elevated

#8 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

  • Assignee set to intrigeri

(Any FT person should feel free to steal this one from me if they have extra bandwidth on top of their other high prio tasks :)

#9 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

  • Related to Bug #16390: devel branch FTBFS since linux-image-4.19.0-1-amd64 was removed from sid added

#10 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

  • Subject changed from Consider Linux 4.19.16-1 for 3.13 to Upgrade to Linux 4.19.16-1 in 3.13
  • Type of work changed from Research to Code

4.19.16 was uploaded to stretch-backports by benh, which is usually a good sign of maturity; also, it's been in sid since Jan 17 and we install it on our devel branch since a week. The only severe regression reported to Debian is https://bugs.debian.org/922028, which won't affect Tails. So I think we're good to go and should take this update, at least to get the bugfixes it brings (if not for security reasons, although it fixes a bunch of potential Spectre vulns).

Meanwhile, 4.19.20 is being prepared in the Vcs-Git; it bumps ABI to 3; it brings quite a few nice config improvements and it might be mature enough in time for 3.13, we'll see => #16458.

#11 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

  • Related to Bug #16458: Upgrade Linux to 4.19.20+ for Tails 3.13 added

#12 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

  • Status changed from Confirmed to In Progress
  • Feature Branch set to bugfix/16371-linux-4.19.0-2+force-all-tests

#13 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

  • % Done changed from 0 to 40
  • QA Check set to Ready for QA

Jenkins is happy enough. Next step before sending to QA: test on bare metal.

#14 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

  • Assignee changed from intrigeri to anonym
  • % Done changed from 40 to 50

Boots, connects to Wi-Fi, loads Tor Browser, shutdowns on boot medium removal on HP EliteBook 840G1 and ThinkPad X200.

⇒ @anonym, please review and merge into stable.

#15 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

If this is not merged today, then perhaps hold on a bit: this will be superseded by #16458 and #16462. So I would suggest you first review the branches that are not about upgrading the kernel.

#16 Updated by intrigeri 3 months ago

  • Status changed from In Progress to Rejected
  • Assignee deleted (anonym)
  • % Done changed from 50 to 100
  • QA Check deleted (Ready for QA)

Obsoleted by #16458.

Also available in: Atom PDF