pkexec error when trying to remove ASP through persistence-setup
In Tails 3.11 when some packages are installed using the additional software persistent feature, we get the following error when trying to remove any of them by going to the persistent configuration assistant, then to the setting button of the additional software feature, then trying to delete a package:
remove','mumble']' returned non-zero exit status 127
#5 Updated by alant about 1 year ago
- Assignee changed from alant to mercedes508
Setting or not an admin password doesn't change anything, we're not asked for it anyway.
pkexec exit status 127 means authentication failure : "Upon successful completion, the return value is the return value of PROGRAM. If the calling process is not authorized or an authorization could not be obtained through authentication or an error occured, pkexec exits with a return value of 127." This is why I guessed that failing to set an admin password in the greeter could lead to this error.
Could you please be more precise about syslog? How to get these?
Either the output of
sudo journalctl -t tails-additional-software or execute
#7 Updated by alant about 1 year ago
- Subject changed from Error when trying to remove packages from additional software feature to pkexec error when trying to remove ASP through persistence-setup
I attached the output of journalctl -t tails-additional-software,
I don't see any issues there.
and when executing DEBUG=1 tails-additional-software-config, it worked just fine.
I didn't find anything in the logs, but reproduced the issue:
pkexec: tails-persistence-setup: The value for the SHELL variable was not found the /etc/shells file [USER=root] [TTY=unknown] [CWD=/] [COMMAND=/usr/local/sbin/tails-additional-software-remove vim]
So when launched through
tails-persistence-setup, the environnment of
tails-additional-software-remove seems not to be good. It should be notes that in this case,
tails-additional-software-remove is run as
#11 Updated by alant about 1 year ago
A similar bug happens when trying to remove an ASP from the configuration window opened through the "Configure" button of the install failure notification. It seems that
pkexec can't find an authentication agent. In the latter case it may be useful to start
tails-additional-software-config the way we start the documentation (straight from the notification helper).
- Target version deleted (
We've set up an automated process to ask our fellow contributors to update some tickets of theirs, in order to:
- better reflect your plans;
- bring down your amount of work-in-progress to a sustainable level;
- encourage team work and increase the chances that someone finishes the work;
- avoid a human doing ticket triaging and asking you the same questions on each such ticket.
In particular, this process identifies:
- Stalled work-in-progress
- Reviews waiting for a long time
However, in the current state of things, this process is not able to notice those tickets when their Target version has been repeatedly postponed by our Release Managers. Therefore, the ticket triaging team decided on #16545 to remove the Target version whenever in such cases, when it does not feel realistic. This is what I'm doing on this ticket.
You now have a few options, such as:
- Deassign yourself. That's fine. If it really matters, someone else, possibly you, may pick it up later. Then, if this ticket is relevant for a Tails team, bring it to their attention; else, forget it and take care of yourself :)
- If you think you can realistically come back to it and finish the work in the next 6 months, say so on this ticket, for example by setting a suitable "Target version". This will communicate your plans to the rest of the project and ensure the task pops up on your radar at a suitable time. Of course, you can still realize later that it is not going to work as planned, and revisit today's choice.