Feature #15085: Document our translation platform infrastructure
Translation platform: Write design documentation
- Check the doc that's in the translate-server repo, make sure it's up-to-date and correct, and ideally move whatever can be published to tails.git.
- Subject changed from Translation platform: Write design documentation for other projects to reuse our work to Translation platform: Write design documentation
Some information that could go into translate-server.git for future reference:
- clean the VM because files are shattered in various & unpredictible
I just did what I felt was good enough for these 2 things:
- Move logs to /var/log
- Turn class parameters into constants in all cases where we've never
supported setting them to a non-default value (and have no reason
to ever do so).
ulrike: I believe this fixes:
I'd like to broaden the scope a bit
to also include: "make all scripts and configuration files managed by
Puppet honor the parameters of the tails::weblate class" (currently we
pass parameters to this class, honor them in some places, but
hard-code their default value in various scripts, so if someone ever
passes non-default values for these parameters, well, things won't
- Use the remaining class parameters in templates instead of
hard-coding their default value.
The end result is definitely not perfect but improving things further
would start having a pretty high cost/benefit ratio so I don't think
it's worth the effort
#16 Updated by hefee about 1 month ago
- Status changed from Confirmed to Needs Validation
- Assignee changed from hefee to u
- Feature Branch set to hefee/15086-desgin-documentation
I updated now the blueprint and added some paragraphs about the scripts that we are running.
Additionally I scanned through the translation-server.git and removed not needed stuff and updated the remaining files.
Do you see more stuff that should end up in the blueprint?
The README.mdwn is another (older) approch to describe the scripts, what do you find more readable?
- Status changed from Needs Validation to In Progress
- Assignee changed from u to hefee
- Feature Branch deleted (
I've done a first review and tried to rewrite some parts that I found hard to understand. Can you please go through the document and improve the parts that I marked with "XXX"? Then reassign to me again for review please.
Also, you can do this directly in the master branch. Blueprints are editable for everyone, so no need to create a branch.
Some other things I've noticed:
I've started to cleanup the translate-server.git repository with information that is either obsolete or should live in our public documentation.
There are some files left though, can you please move them to a public place, after having deleted the sections that are outdated? You might want to coordinate this with intrigeri who might have some ideas on where to store this information instead.
- sysadmin.mdwn → Not sure where this contents could go?
- tmserver.mdwn (I think this one can be deleted)
Also, I've noticed that there is a documentation in contribute/l10n_tricks that explains how to add a new language to weblate. I've now linked to this documentation from the blueprint. But I'm not sure that l10_tricks.mdwn is the right place for this documentation. I've also not checked this documentation for accuracy. Can you please do this as part of the design documentation?