Instructions to backup Tails are wrong in terms of permission
Type of work:
Got a report from user telling that after applying the final commandline for backuping a persistence, the files are owned by root and thus you can't access them when booting the persistence of your backup...
I just tried and got a permission denied when trying to access files in my persistent folder.
That user told that "Changing --uid from 1000 (i.e. amnesia) to 0 (i.e. root) in the first part of the find, and only applying the command to the directories that should be owned by amnesia appears to have worked correctly (if slightly long-winded)."
- Related to Feature #14605: Improve documentation on "Manually copying your persistent data to a new USB stick" added
- Blocks Feature #14758: Core work 2017Q4 → 2018Q1: Technical writing added
- Blocks deleted (Feature #14758: Core work 2017Q4 → 2018Q1: Technical writing)
- Blocks Feature #15411: Core work 2018Q2 → 2018Q3: Technical writing added
I'm out of budget for this quarter.
- Assignee changed from sajolida to cbrownstein
Cody: I'm assiging this one to you as part of the big problem space "Persistent storage vs Backups".
Please check which parts of it are the best to tackle first.
- Type of work changed from Contributors documentation to End-user documentation
- Assignee changed from cbrownstein to sajolida
- Target version set to Tails_3.9
Cody: if you don't mind I'll take over this problem space for some time since I've been working on #15685 lately.
- Target version changed from Tails_3.9 to Tails_3.10.1
- Blocks deleted (Feature #15411: Core work 2018Q2 → 2018Q3: Technical writing)
- Blocks Feature #15941: Core work 2018Q4 → 2019Q2: Technical writing added
- Target version changed from Tails_3.10.1 to Tails_3.11
- Target version changed from Tails_3.11 to Tails_3.12
- Target version changed from Tails_3.12 to Tails_3.13
- Target version changed from Tails_3.13 to Tails_3.14
- Target version deleted (
- Blocks deleted (Feature #15941: Core work 2018Q4 → 2019Q2: Technical writing)
- Blocks Feature #16711: Core work 2019Q3 → 2019Q4: Technical writing added
- Status changed from Confirmed to Rejected
- Assignee deleted (
- Target version set to Tails_3.16
This issue won't be relevant in the new doc from #14605.
Also available in: Atom