Project

General

Profile

Bug #12588

Translations of the Installer are not applied

Added by intrigeri over 2 years ago. Updated over 2 years ago.

Status:
Resolved
Priority:
Elevated
Assignee:
-
Category:
Installation
Target version:
Start date:
05/24/2017
Due date:
% Done:

100%

Feature Branch:
liveusb-creator.git:bugfix/12588-i18n-gtkbuilder
Type of work:
Code
Blueprint:
Starter:
Affected tool:
Installer

Description

Tested on 3.0~rc1, in French and Spanish: no string is translated in the GUI.


Related issues

Related to Tails - Bug #7768: Tails Installer not correctly localized Rejected 08/09/2014
Duplicated by Tails - Bug #12182: Tails Installer - French translation is broken Duplicate 01/27/2017

History

#1 Updated by intrigeri over 2 years ago

On 3.0~beta2, 3.0~beta3 and 3.0~beta4, at least some strings are translated into French.

Now, I've noticed that the POT file used on Transifex seems wrong or outdated, e.g. it has the "Target Device" string while our code now uses "Target Device:". I suspect this explains at least part of this problem and will check with the Tor Transifex admins what's going on.

#2 Updated by intrigeri over 2 years ago

  • Status changed from Confirmed to In Progress
  • % Done changed from 0 to 10

Asked Colin.

#3 Updated by intrigeri over 2 years ago

But that won't be enough, e.g. I see the "Install Tails" button is correctly translated in Git since 2015-10, but it's not translated in the UI (3.0~rc1, 3.0~beta2), and msgunfmt confirms the MO file has the correct translation, so there's clearly a bug somewhere in our code.

#4 Updated by intrigeri over 2 years ago

At least strings that come from data/tails-installer.ui and data/tails-installer-launcher.ui are not translated in the UI. Adding Alan to watchers, as this might be a regression introduced by the port to GTK.

#5 Updated by intrigeri over 2 years ago

  • Assignee changed from intrigeri to anonym
  • % Done changed from 10 to 50
  • QA Check set to Ready for QA
  • Feature Branch set to liveusb-creator.git:bugfix/12588-i18n-gtkbuilder
  • Type of work changed from Research to Code

Regarding the bug: the code using GtkBuilder forgot to set a text domain, please review'n'merge!

Regarding the POT file vs. Transifex: I'll track this separately.

#6 Updated by intrigeri over 2 years ago

  • Duplicated by Bug #12182: Tails Installer - French translation is broken added

#7 Updated by anonym over 2 years ago

  • Status changed from In Progress to Fix committed
  • Assignee deleted (anonym)
  • % Done changed from 50 to 100
  • QA Check changed from Ready for QA to Pass

Looks good, merged! I built and uploaded 4.4.15+dfsg-0tails2 to testing, so that part is done for the 3.0 release process. You're welcome! :)

#8 Updated by intrigeri over 2 years ago

Thanks!

You're welcome! :)

(One of these cases when top-posting makes sense :)

#9 Updated by intrigeri over 2 years ago

  • Status changed from Fix committed to Resolved

#10 Updated by intrigeri over 2 years ago

  • Related to Bug #7768: Tails Installer not correctly localized added

Also available in: Atom PDF